If you can afford to pay the taxes, do so. If you cannot pay the taxes in the amounts and within the time frame demanded, you need to protect your assets from collection. Once this is done you need to negotiate a payment arrangement, an Offer in Compromise, an uncollectible status, or some other agreed upon arrangement, which MUST be in writing to be honored by the IRS or state taxing authorities.